Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Associating Windows 2000 Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabrush

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2002
US
Hey all-

Each time we add a user's machine to an NT Domain, it creates a new profile. So, they have a local profile and a Domain profile. The new Domain profile doesn't contain all of the Desktop and My Documents settings of the local profile.

In order to see the local profile's desktop/my documents in the Domain profile, I modify the registry in HK_USERS and HKLM. I have to walk users through this process, which usually takes about 15 minutes.

Another solution would be to copy the local profile to the Domain profile, but our users switch back between profiles a lot, so they always need to see the same profile. There has to be an easier way to do this, without going into the registry. Does anyone know of another way to point all profiles to the same profile? I have done lots of reserach online and couldn't find anything, but I'm thinking there's some utility/software that takes care of this issue.

Thanks!

Charlie

What's wrong with roaming profiles? How do you go about setting up new users? (eg, without roaming profiles they will get new profile on each workstation they log onto as a domain user - and another new one if the log on locally - but NO domain profile unless you specify it so).

PS. This is a forum - everyone benefits from seeing questions and answers

Can you go into the users and passwords command shell in control panel and add the users domain account to the local system so that they only need one profile whether or not they are on the network? Then they can have all the modified settings they need. You can also have the domain accounts in different user rights groups such as poweruser or administrator.
Give it a try and see if it works.

~TD

Technidiva,

'Can you go into the users and passwords command shell in control panel and add the users domain account to the local system so that they only need one profile whether or not they are on the network?'

could you explain how this works - as far as I know 2k will always create a separate profile for a domain & local user even if they have the same id. You can add doamin users to local groups, but don't know any way of making a domain user 'local' - so would be very interested in the method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back