Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assistance with TAPI PLEASE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prattaratt

Technical User
Aug 6, 2000
US
Okay, I give up! I have gotten TAPI to answer the phone after a set amount of rings with the Modem; However, it always picks up in Data mode, which undesirabe for my puposes. I have tried to initialize the line in voice mode, but I get an Unsupported Media Mode Error, even though the lineGetDevCaps function returns that the modem has voice capability??? I have also tried to change the Media Mode after the call is offered, accepted and answered, all with same result; Unsupported Media Mode!
Any ideas boys and girls?

It's been a loooong time since I worked with TAPI and even then only in QA (no programming), but one thing I do remember is that we had lots of trouble with various modems which claimed to be Fax/Data/Voice modems, but barely worked for voice.

What kind of modem is it? Have you gotten it to work in voice mode with any other programs like Talkworks...?
Also, what OS and TAPI version are you using?
Have you tried going directly through the COM port instead of TAPI?

>>What kind of modem is it?
The modem is a PCTel HSP56 MicroModem.
>>Have you gotten it to work in voice mode with any other programs like Talkworks...?
Don't have any voice mode programs to try it with.
>>Also, what OS and TAPI version are you using?
I am working with TAPI Ver 2.2, on Windows XP.
>>Have you tried going directly through the COM port >>instead of TAPI?
Yes, I am trying several different approaches, including working through the Com Port. TAPI was the one that bore fruit first, so I went with it. I had problems figuring out how to open the modem as a wav file device, and I thought that TAPI might help with that area too.

PCTel is the worst type of modem I've ever seen. I'm not surprised you're having problems.
If you have any other modems you can try, I'd highly recommend using them.

I found that USR makes the best modems. Some modems using the Rockwell chipset are also good.

Thanks! I'm starting to get the picture on that from trying to find updated drivers for it. The computer is a secondhand rebuild job, and I don't know who made the card, and PCTel doesn't support its chipsets anymore according to their website.

I didn't know they ever did support their chipset. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back