Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assigning weird IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkyluk

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
US
We have a network that is cat5 wired in the school. From the front office it is linked with a wireless antenna to another building which is also hard wired. All desktops in each building work fine-they automatically pull up the IP address. I have a notebook that I use in the school building. It hooks up fine with my normal IP. When I take it to the other building, it will not connect to the network. When I checked the IP address it wasn't even close to our range. I tried to feed it my regular IP but it still wouldn't connect. BTW-running XP Pro. Any help would be appreciated.

From what you report, it sounds like the two systems are on different subnets (IP pools).

Does everyone have a fixed IP? If so get an IP from the other building and use it when you are over there. Keep in mind that this other building will also have a different gateway and may have a different subnet mask a DNS servers. All the other building's TCP/IP info would need to be entered when you are over there.

The best solution, assuming that the problem is different subnets, would be to have a DHCP server on each subnet and set your laptop for DHCP ... then you will pick up the correct information whereever you are.

We only have one server and that is in the school. The rectory uses the same IP pool and the same subnet. I have reserved an IP for my notebook but I still cannot connect at the rectory. When I plug in the patch cord (normally connected to a functioning computer) I get the bubble indicating that I am now connected but I can't get out. Every other desktop computer that I have setup over there has connected immediately with just the basic "Add a Network Place". I am stumped. I feel its one of those things where a box is checked when it shouldn't be...

Ok ... there goes that theory.

Sounds like your laptop is set for DHCP but with a reserved address. Have you tried hard coding the IP Address into the laptop? Make sure you get the right DNS, gateway and subnet info when you enter the IP Address since these will no longer be automatic as well.

If this works then it suggests that the DHCP is not working to the second building.

Yes, I had the TCP/IP Alternate Configuration set to the reserved addresses. I guess the other thing I noticed was when I view the Local Area Connection Status in the school the address type is "Assigned by DHCP" and at the rectory it is "Manually Configured". Could it be that there is some type of memory in the switch (or hub, I can't remember what is over there) at the rectory that is blocking me? Tomorrow I'm going to try to unplug the antennas to see if that does anything. It seems whenever there is an issue at this building unplugging the antennas clears it. I would just hate to have to do that each time I have to work over there. I guess that still would not explain why other computers just hook up with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back