Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assigning Media as volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadianweasel

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2001
CA

Does anyone know of documentation primarily on the assigning of media into the volume pool? When I attempted to install NetBackup, it attempted to assign media into the volume pool by assigning it the media ID of the last 6 digits of the barcode. We use an Exabyte tape library, so our barcodes are 8 characters, the first being a letter, a series of 0s then numbers from 1-20. Since there will then be some duplication in the numbers (ie : A0000005 and a B0000005 barcode) it will then try to assign media IDs of 000005 to both, and it will of course, fail.

This is done during the installation. So when I then attempt to assign futher volumes, I have to do so under a different convention, and it tells me that it cannot complete as the media is already assigned and various other errors. (yadda, yadda, yadda).

Any recommendations on quick and easy ways to assign media as volumes? Would I be best just to try and relabel the tapes into a more ID friendly naming convention?

The book has thus far confused me, hence the reason why I'm posting what may infact be a rather simple query.

Sorry if it's confusing.

Thanks

Just looked at your question. I think u r looking a method to assign your prefix to the media.
U can set the MEDIA_ID_PREFIX variable in the bp.conf file.
For more information see the system administration manual and bp.conf on unix server section.
best of luck.
Atif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back