Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assigning DLL Base Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarler

Programmer
Jan 29, 2001
US
Can anyone here tell me what method should be used when assigning a base address to a DLL at compile time? Essentially, what I am interested in knowing is how far apart do the memory address have to be from each other? Which (if any) memory addresses can not be used? And do the DLL base addresses have to fall on certain boundries in memory? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this. - Jeff Marler B-)

Visual Basic programmers journal has a good article on this one (1999 issue I believe). The article even had a program to examine the base addresses on your system.

Rule 1: don't overlap your, or another's base address.
Rule 2: pick an area for your DLLs, and give them room to grow (it might be 150k today, but it could be 900k next year). As an example, I ran the code on several systems and some of the MS Office dlls that were 900k in Office 95 became 4M in Office 97.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back