Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assign permanent drive mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2002
US
Is there a way to assign a drive mapping in such a way that a user cannot change it?

In the Policy Editor you can disable the Disconnect Network Drive option. Plus you can also diable the Start/Run and Command Prompts.

The users will have nowhere to disconnect the drive.

Open the Policy Editor and in your Users Policy look in "Windows NT Shell" and "Restrictions" for the disabling the disconnect network drive. Look in the "Shell" and "Restrictions" for the others.
New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

I guess I was vague in my question. I'm looking for a way to do just what you describe, but from the command line. Something like:

NET USE D: \\SERVER\SHARE /NOCHANGE

Where the /NOCHANGE switch is my idea of what makes the drive unchangable for that session. It seems like I've seen a switch for NET USE that does this, but I can't remember what it was or where I saw it mentioned.

You can the following commands in the usres login script

net use drive: \\machine or server name\sharename /persistent:yes

then after every login it will connect automatically to the perticular drive.
and then create one policy for disabling the discoonection of network drives using policy editor in windows nt or 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back