Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assign default gateway routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

matept

MIS
Mar 5, 2012
US
Hey,
I have a question about default gateways, and routing in a VLAN envrionment.

Currently, we have 7 VLANs. All are 10.x.0.0/16. There is a VLAN assigned to each X subnet. Each subnet/VLAN has a default gateway of 10.x.0.1. Example: VLAN2 is assigned to 10.2.0.0/16, and has a GW of 10.2.0.1. None of our internal computers know anything of the outside world. All web traffic is dealt with using a Squid Proxy. To get to the WAN, we have a firewall appliance at 10.1.1.28. Using the FW as the gateway, one can bypass the proxy and get to the outside world, using public DNS. Our internal DNS servers do not recurse to the outside world DNS. Overall, it keeps our traffic highly contained.

I am running into an config issue that I do not know how to solve. We are going to implement a Meraki wifi solution. I want one SSID to be configured as internal on VLAN5, and another SSID to be configured to another dirty VLAN, with an ID of 7. I would also like the dirty VLAN to bypass all of my internal network, and dump out using the 10.1.1.28 firewall as its GW to access the outside world. As it stands right now, I cannot hand out addresses like 10.7.100.x/24, with a GW of 10.1.1.28 and expect the clients to be able to hit the gateway, as there is not route to the 10.1. subnet.

My core switch is a ProCurve 5412zl.

Am I going about this wrong? I could configure a physical port on my firewall (Sonicwall NAS 2400) as having a 10.7.0.1 address, and forward requests going from that port, to go out the WAN interface I suppose.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back