Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asset Management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asolandri

Programmer
May 3, 2005
US
My company is in the market for purchasing some software to handle project management. I am researching various possibilities, among them Microsoft Project. I have little knowledge of the product, so I have read what I could find to help me learn what it is capable of doing.

One of the things I read about is that there is a system to manage documents. What I need to know is does that include all types of objects? To be more specific, my company deals with fairly large volumes of graphic, video, and audio files (we do our own commercials for instance), and we would like to manage all these files within the software we buy, tying them to the project they belong to.

Is Microsoft Project capable of handling this? Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

You could create a specialized field in Project which would be a directory or folder path, a pointer to the location of the associated files/documents. I think that's about the best you can do at this time with Project.

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

You might want to look at WSS

WSS is a server product that you can access using IE. There is some integration between Project Pro(but not Standard) that allows you to link project tasks to issues and risks, but the WSS repository and support for client access all resides on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back