Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

assembler programs like masm,tasm etc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbieatassembly

Technical User
Oct 4, 2000
IN
Hi,
I just started learning assembly. Programs like MASM, TASM are off my reach because of the cost. Are there any substitute for these programs. I have heard of NASM, but I also heard that a little twealing is required to make asm programs work. To a newbie thats a hard job at present.

Thank you. [sig][/sig]

Hi,
NASM is good assembler for its free, intel-style syntax and multi-OS support.

AS(included in most linux distribution) is an another choice but its AT&T syntax will be a nightmare for a beginner^_^

Hope this helps!

[sig][/sig]

Hi,
I think I understand what you mean. So I should just use NASM and code accordingly using Linux as the base system. No problem in that area. I have Slackware Linux 7.0 up and running for a long time now. NASM is installed.

My only problem is most books teach with TASM or MASM as the base. Could you suggest some good books for unix assembly programming. A how-to will be useless I do not know much about how to program in assembly. I have just started. [sig][/sig]

I believe Microsoft is giving away MASM now.

I have a manual for MS MASM 6.0
If you would like it, let me know your addrsss and I will mail it to you.

Just a question, zBuilder. If Microsoft decided to turn MASM into freeware, why can't you download it directly from Microsoft.com?

Everybody be careful here.

"Technological progress is like an ax in the hands of a pathological criminal"
Albert Einstein

MASM is out of question. Its outdated now I think.
nasm is worth it and anyway I was going into linux assembly - masm is of no use to me anymore.

Secondly linuxassembly.org doesn't have much for newbies who have to start from scratch including as to what are registers.

The principles of assembly language SHOULD remain the same across any OS Platform; the only changes are going to be in the OS Function calls. DOS Based OSes use INT 21H to process system calls, WIN32 uses Far calls, and get with me in a few months about LINUX. But the INTEL X86 Assembly language itself will remain much the same. The registers are hardwired into the CPU, the opcodes are the same. The only differences will be in the format of the individual Assemblers, and what the software interrupts will do when called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back