Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASRUNJOB.exe - Dr Watson Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

aling

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
My jobs have started reporting "Crash" in the job status window, and the following error is on the screen:
Dr. Watson for Windows NT
An application error has occured....ASRUNJOB.exe
exception: access violation (oxcoooooo5).....

Am backing up Lotus Notes servers on NT boxes (without agent). The backup server is NT4.0, sp4.

Thanks - any troubleshooting suggestions appreciated.

I use ASO (Arcserve) 6.61 on NT 4 SP5.

I have the same problem, but not on my backup jobs. Everytime i do restore or merge job, asrunjob.exe gives the same Dr. Watson error as you get. But the job is done alright!?

I've tryed to reinstall all Arcserve software, without luck. I don't no what startet the problem, but it have not always been there. :-(

Can anybody help us?

Yes, same as Ivanhoe, my jobs also seem to complete - based on size, # of db's etc. - but get the ASRUNJOB.exe error, the job status reports crashed, and the job gets put on "HOLD".

Hi,
I am also getting the same problem, but my backup is not even starting!
I am on an NT4 server with Arcserve 6.61 running with the exchange agent.
My job does the normal format tape and database access, then before starting to backup I get
"Dr Watson ASRUNJOB.exe Exception: Access Violation (0xc000005) Address 0x77f64e87"
This is a new install, and has been installed on several other servers at the same time without this problem (but they don't have the exchange agent.....!?)
Any help gratefully accepted.

To cdav!

I think you have another security problem there. Check the security in the backupjob and make sure that the backupuser have all the rights to backup files, that the backup "dbarpcservice" is running, that the NT agent is configured with correct IP adr. and that the security and agent information is typed in the backupjob.

I'm running the same systems as you do, without any backup problems of that kind.

Regards
Ivanhoe

I have also contacted CA about this and another problem. Will let you know what they suggest. In the meantime - anyone else out there with suggestions, advice? All ideas welcome! Thanks. Audrey

To Ivanhoe - Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, as far as i can make out, I've been through all of this! I will check it all to make sure though.

To aling - I'll be interested in any information you get.

Just for information, I have to do some more installs in the very near future (and I think one of them is an Exchange box) so I'll let you know if i get a repeat of the problem.

Hi all,
Concerning your ASRUNJOB.exe Dr. Watson error. I also had these problems in the past. Here are a couple of things to check. Are you running the latest service pack for 6.61. I know that one of the service packs fixed a problem with the ASRUNJOB.exe Dr. Watson error. Also this can be caused by a corrupt job Que. To fix this You will need to rename the .qsd folder in your ARCserve directory. Stop and restart the ARCseve services, this will create a new folder and than recreate your jobs. I hope this may help one of you.

Poseidon89 - Thanks for that. I have come across Dr Watson's with corrupt job queues in the past, although they didn't look quite like this. That normally happened when I was trying to modify jobs etc. However, this is something I haven't checked in this case. I'll let you know how it goes!

Progress guys!

I don't know whether you are backing up individual drives, or backing up the whole server through Arcserve. We back up individual drives and Exchange (not bricks level) and, when we investigated further, we found that we could back up Exchange alone, then we could also back up the Registry alone. So, we altered the order to ensure that those that could be backed up were being done first and the whole backup is now working!

(One of my colleagues is convinced that Arcserve is Voodoo. I daren't tell him this fix, because I think it may confirm his suspicions!)

It may be worth doing a test to isolate what will back up and what won't.

I'm not sure that this will clear all Dr Watson's. but it is worth a try.

Let me know how you get on.

I had also the problem while I was backing up all the users of exchange (Brick level). asrunjob ......

But here is my solution :

You probably selected 'Microsoft Exchange Server - Brick Level or 'Individual Mailboxes' in de list for thing to backup. This is wrong : When you do this , \\<server>\dbaexch2 will be added in your backup job and here will arcserve crach with a Dr. Watson.
What you need to do is this :
Select 'Individual Mailboxes' , expand these individual mailboxes and deselect one of them. (By doing this, the select square of Individual mailboxes will be half selected.)
Then re-select the mailbox that you have unselected and you see that the square of Individual mailboxes stays half selected.
The difference : In the job list of the backup each individual mailbox will be mentioned and now arcserve won't crash.
After finding out this problem, the solution was very logical because you want the brick level to restore in case of a problem only the mailboxes of those persons whose mailbox is corrupt and how must arcserve find out which part of dbaexch2 belongs to which user.

If you have more questions about this problem you can email me bert.geys@belcast.be.

Bert

HI everyone!

I have a similar problem, a Dr. Watson's error, but in Asmgr.exe when trying to assign a media to a media pool or accesing to properties of a media pool.

Anybody thinks this can be related??

If not, I would apriciate some help!

thks

OK, folks, this seemed to fix it - (I am running Arcserve 6.5, built 620 on NT 4.0)
1. I spoke to a different tech at Arcserve, he said NOT to apply patch L047027 - that it had problems.
2. After having me check on the backup server in \arcserve\database directory for r*.* files, he said that I had a corrupted database, because you are only supposed to have three r*.* files: rA*.chg, rdm.chi, and rdm.chk. I had several rA*.chg files (15).
3. He said to reinstall the database, which means that you will have to re-merge any tapes that you need to restore. Also, make sure that you have each backup job script saved to a directory outside Arcserve (I also like to have a hard copy). It is also a good idea to have a backup of the Arcserve\database directory.
To reinstall the db:
a. stop db engine
b. go to \arcserve\database and delete rA*.chg, rdm.chi, rdm.chk
c. start db engine
d. start the install from the Arcserve CD, select only the database to install/overwrite, install to the same path.

Now, this was not the entire fix. I ALSO had to recreate the jobs before the crash errors went away. Just adding them from previously saved scripts did not work.
That is why you will want a hard copy of your jobs to make it easier to re-create them.

So, there was probably corruption both in the database and the queue (which I deleted per instructions from Poseidon89 posted 3/13/01 (stop Arcserve job engine, rename 0001.qsd to *.old, restart job engine a new que will be created). Re-create your jobs from scratch, do not just &quot;add&quot; them from previously saved scripts.

Don't forget you will have to re-merge tapes you need for restores.

I've stopped all services and renamed the 00000001.qsd dir to something else and restarted the services. It creates a new 00000001.qsd and the qsys files. You'll have to create your jobs agin, but no more issues.

DR Shaw

We were expieriencing the same issues on several boxes running AS 6.5. They were at Rev 600 or 620. I updated to Rev 622 per CA's site, and the problem hasn't resurfaced.

I am having a problem that has just started in the last few weeks.

My backup 'crashes' in the middle of backing up the brick-layer, and the mailbox where it stops varies all the time. This does not occur everyday, but does happen every 2-3days. I then run a manual backup during the day, and it completes fine. There are no error messages in the EventViewer or poping up on the screens.

We are running Windows 2000 servers using Exchange 2000 and Arcserver 2000 with the Exchange Agent. This environment has been in place for over 6 months and working fine till this started. Nothing had changed on the system at the point this started occuring.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks (o:

My jobs have started reporting &quot;Crash&quot; in the job status window, and the following error is on the screen:
Dr. Watson for Windows NT
An application error has occured....ASRUNJOB.exe
exception: access violation (oxcoooooo5).....

Am backing up 28 GB data with image option enabled
The server is NT4.0, sp6a
I use Arcserve 2000 WG edition SP3 (build 1086) with image option.

suggestions?

I also have this same thing, Dr. Watson error in asrunjob.exe. Once the file tries to restore it goes to status HOLD and last resulted as CRASHED! This is only when I restore an Access database file, but not all of them are affected, only a few. I have Arserve Tech Support Engineers working on this right now. This is going on day 5 for me. In the meantime, I'm copying the database files with an added extension like .log. This will backup and restore with no problems. I'm thinking that .mdb files are a problem. I did the same thing as far as uninstall and reinstalling Arserve 2000 to Build 1100, with SP4. They also had me install the current patches from I'll let you know what they come up with, which I hope soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back