Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASR backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergeys

MIS
May 22, 2007
US
Hello.
I recently had to restore a server with a crashed raid5 array from backups completely. I did not have an ASR backup on hands, so I just installed os, then Backup Exec agent, then restored c: drive completely, then rebooted, etc.. It worked. Server is restored.
The question is: if I had an ASR backup, I would still be restoring by Backup Exec backup over the ASR backup eventually? ASR backup only restores parts of your files, so one will still be restoring regular backup after restoring using ASR set. Do I really need ASR backups then? They add an extra routine to already complicated backup schedules. Does it pay at the end to have ASR backups of every server in your possession?
What do you think?

I don't bother because I don't feel the benefits of ASR outweigh the effort involved. BE's IDR option is integrated with ASR, but again, IDR can be problematic.

Thanks for answering. I used to do ASR backups in the past, when I was using ntbackup to backup up the servers. But now it seems that it's just not worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back