Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASPEmail - persits 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjm027

MIS
Mar 7, 2003
US
We are having problems using aspemail made by persits. We have forms on our website that send out automated emails upon completion. We have several hundred users that use this daily. We come across certain domains that will not accept the email generated by these forms and they bounce back to our email domain, and the intended receiver never gets the email that was supposed to be sent to them.

Could it be server settings on our end or their end? Ports blocked?

It is only a small set of domains that this will not work for.

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks in advance.

Hi bjm027,

I'm trying to set up aspemail for a website, and i'm having problems just getting it to work. could you post the part of your code where it creates the email and sends it?

I'd greatly appreciate it, or any other pointers that you could provide...

thanks!

I don't believe the problem is with ASPEmail.

have you looked in the logs that ASPEmail generates?

Try the following things to troubleshoot.

1. Send an email to one of these failed addresses using your email client on your pc sending through the same SMTP server that ASPEmail uses.

if it passes, then check to see how ASPEmail logs into your SMTP server and make sure it isn't being filtered.

If it fails, then look at the return response you get back. Post that here for further help.

pkailas:

The return response I get is as follows:

---------------------
undeliverable to {email address here}

Original message follows.

Received: from {our mail server}

{Message with all the html included}
[message truncated]
---------------------

I can send emails from my email client and from my pc through the same SMTP server to the addresses I get the returns from.

I do not believe anything is being filtered as this works with most domains we send to. This is only a problem with a percentage group of less than 5%.

Just wondering if there is a fix?

...?

Once we figure out why it's failing, it won't be hard to fix.

Are you using the Email Agent using Mail.SendToQueue or are you just using Mail.Send?

On your Mail.From line are you using a valid email address like user@domain.com instead of just User? such as:
Code:
Mail.From "user@domain.com"

not
Mail.From "User"

I had to udate all our sites after we upgraded to a newer version of ASPEmail.

One more thing to check is on your SMTP server make sure that you set up security to allow the IP address of the web server to have routing/relaying permissions to everywhere.

Yes we use a valid email address. It is an email on our mail domain.

I also wanted to mention; it is consistent with certain domains. I put some code on the asp page that checks the email address and if they contain the domains we consistently get returns from it send those domains a plain text email instead of and email that contains html.

This works fine, but it would be nice to send all email addresses the same email.

If you need clarity on this, please ask.

One more thing to check is on your SMTP server make sure that you set up security to allow the IP address of the web server to have routing/relaying permissions to everywhere."

Not sure about this, I will have to check on it.

So you are able to send plain text email to those domains in question, just not HTML? Only HTML messages tend to get rejected to those domains?

Are these messages being rejected at YOUR mail server or the DESTINATION mail server?

Have you tried using the Email Agent? I tend to have better luck with it because you can actually log onto your mail server thus allowing that mail to be coming from a trusted user.

I love small animals, especially with a good brown gravy....

I am able to send plain text emails to these domains when using the aspemail feature and only the html messages get rejected. I can, however, send html emails to these domains when sending from the client on my pc.

The messages are getting rejected at the destination mail server. I am not completely sure about this, but almost certain.

I wasn't too sure what you meant by using an Email Agent? Could you possibly explain further?

Email Agent is a component you get with ASPEmail. What version of ASPEmail are you using? It's free with a registered version. It basically is a queing system where all the outgoing email is saved in a folder and then at polling intervals is sent through the "agent". The agent can log on as a user onto the SMTP server.

If you use the Email agent, you get lots of logging to help find where and why things aren't working.

I love small animals, especially with a good brown gravy....

Sorry pkailas...

I got caught up in some things...

I'll look over all this and see what I can come up with on Monday.

But, we have ASPEmail 5.0 and it is registered. Unfortunately I wasn't too familiar with the Email Agent, but I feel I need to be now. This seems like it may be heading in the right direction when it comes to finding why things aren't working.

Thanks for the help so far...

Hi I am having the exact same problem with ASPEmail. About 5% of mails are just not sending. Has this ever been resolved and is there a fix?

Best Regards.

I thought that perhaps it was because the return address did not resolve, but this has not seemed to fix the problem. Also some addresses on domains that have refused the email work fine, others however do not. Very confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back