Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aspect ACD Database to Microsoft Access Database...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dass2

Technical User
Apr 12, 2005
GB
Hi All,

A question regarding the above subject. The MIS would be keen to have the Aspect ACD database migrated (copied) to an offline Access Database. The basics we need to know are as follows:

a) How is the ACD DB actually exported ? What priveledges are needed. Only Aspect themselves can access the ACD via system manager policy. I am a system Manager, can this still be done???

b) Is their a way of finding out how big the ACD DB is, I know it holds a months (or something like this) worth of data. I need to conduct a feasability study in order to derive how much space will be needed by the Access MDB.

The next 3 months should, fingers crossed, see us acquire Crystal Reports 11. Until then we would be keen (Due to RR being a pile of old shit) to practice some SQL querying the MS Access DB. Practicing SQL using RR is like practicing driving with no steering wheel if you get my drift.

Hi,

your rights in the admin-programs are independant of the rights to access the database.
There is a dedault db-user (DTA) which has read-access to all the tables described in the docs.
In system administrator -> reporting client security you can grant read access on selected tables to additional users.

To export the data, you connect youy favorite app (SCrystal/Access, whatever) to the db using oracle-client or odbc and extract the data using sql queries.

Just count the rows to get an impression of the db-size.

the complete oracle acc db will run around 250mb if historical is set close to default...

Depending on your skill level - you can access the Aspect DB without using either Crystal or Access.

Also, using an MS-SQL database could be an alternative to what you are trying to do... MSSQL can import data from other db's and you can set up schedules to do this import auto...also known as Data Transformation Services (DTS) and using a connetion via a datasource "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle"

Shure you can use every piece of software which can talk to an Oracle-DB using OCI or other interfaces sitting on top of that like OLE-DB or ODBC.
I'm used to write PL/SQL code for testing. Sometimes things need to be used by other people so I create rebuild the same logic in Access (VBA) and create a GUI.

With regards to sizing you would be wise to estimate call volume and then check your parameter settings to see what amount of days you are storing in your aspect to estimate size of the dB. I have built an extract solution that may or may not suit your needs that we can talk about if you are interested. You can reach me at sjbogani@secamer.com for more information.

Sizing is one part (we have a limit of 4 million CDR in calldetail, using 120K-140K records per business-day; exporting calldetail to a local access-db needs 200-250MB space and 10mins per day). I have built an app (with scheduler) using Access to extract data. Doing stuff like that is possible using shell-scripts, perl, php, PL/SQL or whatever with local files DBMS like Oracle, MySQL etc... Ask about the details. What do you need the extracted data for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back