Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP vs Frontpage - which one to use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miq

Programmer
Apr 24, 2002
PK
Hi guys,

Frontpage provides a capability to send form's data to specific email / file / database using frontpage server extensions.

Same capability is offered by ASP, With manual coding all this can be done.

My question is "Which technique is more efficient in terms of speed?".

Using Frontpage for all this is very easy since we don't have to write any code. Whereas ASP gives us more power and freedom.

I know ASP and Frontpage both. So, here is no problem of skills. But isn't using ASP time consuming and cumbersome, in the above mentioned scenario?

Bye
miq

i can first hand say that text written ( notepad / other editor ) code can be _ALOT_ more dynamic, and frontpage has a tendancy to 'think' for you and go .. "oh no that code goes here" and mess with things ( spend alot of time in the past repairing what FP thought it needed to fix )

BUT on the contrary, FP is a powerful tool and good for it's WYSIWYG functionality and with plugins like storefront and so on you may not have to write much asp in it, the choice is really based off your company, personal choice, and level of knowledge/ability

the question must be using Notepad or Front page..

event though front page has a wizard it ends up using ASP (it is a language).... :)

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

personally, even with knowing frontpage, i find hardcoding faster, because you have the environment by the 'roots' persay, you know every detail of it and it's alot easier to optomize than FP code

in the long run i would tend to think that handwritten code is the better route

hi,
So, you guys think manual coding is better option. But my real question was about the performance improvements.
is there any such thing or both techniques are equally wighted as far as performance is concerned.

Well, Frontpage is a nice tool. quite powerful. It may make code more complicated but i does allow chaning its own generated code and if one want FP to stop rearranging/editing code it is possible with newer version of FP. like 2000

Uisng Frontpage , CSS and ASP makes website fastly up, running, smooth and ofcourse dynamic. I personally see no harm in using FP or other editors. They really makes like lot more easier.

Bye
miq

u are cent percent correct thats why FP and softwares like dreamweaver are famous... :)

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

FrontPage is fine for some simple connections, using their wizards and such. The problems start when you want to do difficult/complex things. I personally make everything in FrontPage, but I write most of my own ASP code in the HTML view, since the wizards are, IMHO, pretty worthless a lot of the time. This way, I get the power of directly controlling my code, with the convinience of using FrontPage for things that are easy/repetitive/boring to get the page deployed faster

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back