Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP page data update, refresh issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbsys

Programmer
May 6, 2005
CA
Hi; I am presently working on a project where I have a web page that queries a name from the Exchange server. The page contains 3 drop-down selection boxes. The content of the second list box depends on the content listed in the first box. The content listed in the 3rd box depends on the content selected in the 2nd box. IE:

box1 is parent to box2 and box2 is parent to box3.

My problem is when I change the value of box1, I'd like the page to save the new value, requery the datasources, and modifiy the values in the list for box2. Same if I change the value of box2, the values in box3's list should change based on the value of box2.

Can anyone help me with this?

thanks

Hi...
Can you tell that, you want to do it wih refreshing the page or without ?
Because doing it with refreshing is very easy...
you fire a javascript function on the onchange event of the combo boxes which calls the same page with a querystring parameter with the current value of the combo box...
So after coming back to page, you check, if the parameter was passed to the page, you query the second combo box...
But if you want to do it without refreshing, it's a little tricky...
You can use an Iframe in your page and pass the value of the 1st combo box to it in the onchange event of it and in the Iframe, you have a page which do the query thing and fills the 2nd combo and do the same for the 3rd combo...
Hope to be usefull...

----
Harsh words break no bones but they do break hearts.
E.T.

Another way to do it without a page refresh is to use the xmlhttp object but this won't work if the user has disabled javascript for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back