Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP or Coldfusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

obaluba

Technical User
Sep 24, 2001
GB
I need to learn the basic procedures in one of these languages.
Which do you think is easier to learn on a very basic scale?

thanks

I have heard that ColdFusion is the easiest one to learn. But once your know one of these programming languages you can pick up others very easily.

Hope this helps!
greenjumpy.gif
NATE
design@spyderix-designz.com

CFML is much easier than ASP.
CFML works under different OSs (Windows, Unix, Linux, etc) and different Web servers (Apache, IIS, etc..) while ASP works only under windows and IIS.

Goodluck

I have been looking for somewhere reasonably priced in the UK which host coldfusion ran databases, but thus far have been unsuccessful as everywhere seems to do asp.

thanks for all advice!

i'm going to try asp i think!

I'm surprised nobody mentionned PHP. PHP is faster than ASP and ColdFusion and Free and runs on virtually any servers out there. As far as learning curve is concerned it is just as hard as CFML or ASP.

The ASP modules Wullie mentionned are usually poor quality or cost money to buy. (sorry Wullie but I failed to find any good ASP modules out there when I was asked to do so a year ago. Maybe you can direct us to one somewhere that is of quality and that you have experience with)

I use PHPTriad at home. It installs for you :

PHP (the core engine),

Apache (the free high quality most used server in the world),

MySQL (a database),

phpMyAdmin (MySQL administration tool using PHP to do all the work),

and

Perl (a scripting language like PHP that can be very useful).

I hope you'd consider PHP before any of the languages you mentionned. ASP and CF force you to be stuck with a commercial company whereas PHP is free, fast and runs virtually on any system out there.

Gary Haran

Gary

I cannot provide any links that I have experience with as I don't use ASP, I was simply replying to the following comment:

while ASP works only under windows and IIS.

One that I have heard a lot about is
Hope this helps Wullie

sales@freshlookdesign.co.uk

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

CF!

fast, can handle a huge load, easy to learn but not limited in function, logical to use, easy to troubleshoot, oh, did I mention ability to pass vars directly into flash!, and the server can run cfm or jsp...yeah..cf is the way to go.

What more proof do you need.

This site uses Cold Fusion.

By the way, if you are real familiar with HTML and have a good SQL sense, Cold Fusion would be quicker to learn. Plus Macromedia runs a pretty good bulletin board for tips, help and questions.

"Plus Macromedia runs a pretty good bulletin board for tips, help and questions."

As does Tek Tips!!

I agree with Gary!! I'm planning on learning some server side stuff soon, I didn't really think about asp of coldfusion (not because I thought PHP was better - but because I got MySQL and PHP on a CD with a book!) but if they're all pretty much the same to learn, why wouldn't you start with PHP and MySQL - it's free so saves you having to buy software. And besides, we're already supporting Bill Gates enough by running windows, IE, office and whatnot - the list of MS products is endless, when really (in my opinion) we should be supporting open source alot more

Open Source is a great Idea, But I have seen nothing but problems with most applications in the business world. Our custom Linux firewall was crap..our ZOPE XML data transfer system was CRAP...
open source has its place, but I won't trust a product without more backing from its makers. this is not to say i like MS all that much either :)

Back to what wullie said, "ASP also works on other platforms and servers, Apache has modules for ASP."

My host uses Apache::ASP but I have not tried it out yet. It is free unlike chillisoft

Why not PHP and MYSQL!!!!

Best ive used, wouldnt use anything else now.

Scary...
Always use the tool thast best fits the job, I have run into jobs that would work better in a PHP atmosphere and I have run into jobs that would work better in an ASP atmosphere, granted I generally write in ASP, but the more you master the more you can offer your clients.
(Please don't take this to mean I have mastered PHP by any means, I haven't used it in a year and a bit).

-Tarwn --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

I also wanted to coment on
that in itself is restricting you to the best performance you can output to your customer.

to master anything in this field you need to learn the five ways to do it and to what will do it better (platform/language).
My meaning in this is there are always five ways you can do (code) something. The fastest most efficient way is the best obviously after trial, error and testing. As Tarwn stated the tool that best fits the job is what you should learn. By all means your not going to get in-depth with either ASP or CL at the current pace or at the same time, but you need to have the thinking process that possibly ASP can do something for you or your customer that CL cannot. Learning the basics of both and or all forms you can perform certain tasks the option I would recommend and not to say you should learn this over that for a starting point.
I dare to learn more
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

not CL --> CF
can you tell I've been stuck on the AS/400 for the last month. CL stands for Control Language if you are wondering. Very powerful tool in the mid-range I dare to learn more
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back