Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP or ASP.NET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleahim

Programmer
Jun 3, 2002
RO
Hi,

I installed Windows 2000 (IIS server).
I heard that ASP.NET programming is totaly different from ASP programming.
I don't know ASP or ASP.NET.
What is the best choise to make an interactive site?
It's better to learn both programs?

Thanks,
Mihaela

Reply start with ASP,learn the basics.

Then jump to ASP.Net.

My 2 cents. Others may differ.

I think you'd be wasting your time by starting with ASP. Why learn old technology, when there's so much new stuff to learn and use? You would be much better off to start learing ASP.NET, it's easier and more effective, especially if you've got some programming experience already...but even if you don't.
It will be much easier to do stuff in ASP.NET

Just get a beginner book and go!!!

asp and asp.net share the name only, but thats where the similarity ends.

Learn asp.net, as classic asp won't be around much longer anyway (other than supporting legacy applications already existing instead of going for new ones. I doubt too many large web applications will be done with classic asp anymore)

D'Arcy

I agree.. learn asp.net... that way you will have a foot hold into a .net windows language.

Hmm. Well it depends. Will your situation require you to support ASP apps? ASP (the classic version) will likely be around, for a little while anyway. If so, you may want to study ASP. But even so you will want to learn ASP.NET. And, yes ASP and ASP.NET are not the same. As for the best for an interactive site I am not sure. So far, I am still using client side javascript/DHTML to make an ASP.NET site interactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back