Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asp on a Linux server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashc123

Technical User
Oct 3, 2001
US
As you all probably know I have been working on this "thing"(asp database driven web site) for my boss well this week I showed it to my boss' boss and he (the boss' boss)liked what he saw (however there where a few more things he wants me to add...whole other thread, well probably way more than just one for that)and then he ever so casually mentions that he wants it to go on the web server (which i didn't expect or plan for, just thought this would be kind of like an interoffice tracking thing running in the background of my machine, very small time).

Okay you have made it this far now I will get to my problem, The web server is a linux machine. I have no clue how to get Asp pages and an Access DB(which will now have to be up graded, but to what???) working on a non MS system. I have no, not one, clue where to even start. just started with ASP a few months ago. And would not be as far as I am without all of your help here at Tek-Tips, so applause to everyone here!!!!!! Now I am asking for help yet again. (I have until the beginning of March to have this ready.)

What is a linux server?
How do I cross over? Am I going to have to go in another direction other than ASP?
How can I test it without having access to the server?
Where can i find info about linux and ASP?
What kind of DB should I use?
(Also, the purchasing guy will pitch a hissy fit if I want to spend money, so I have to be economical about it)

Many of you probably are wondering why am I doing this, well I am excited about learning I just didn't realize that I would have to do so much in such a short time. Well at least this way I am motivated.

Thanks to you all!
Sonya

you can use Chili!Soft ( product to run ASP on Linix, but it cost around $500 as fars as I know. On other hand you could spend some time learning FREE PHP scripting language, which is simular to JavaScript. and convert your ASP code to PHP

> What is a linux server?

The company you work for either has an in-house internet server or contracts with a third-party internet host company. Either way, the server is a computer with the Linux operating system and probably the Apache web server which exposes your company's web site to the internet. Apache is to Linux what Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) is to Windows NT/2000/XP Server.

> How do I cross over? Am I going to have to go in another direction other than ASP? ... Where can i find info about linux and ASP? ... (Also, the purchasing guy will pitch a hissy fit if I want to spend money, so I have to be economical about it)

If your company has an in-house Linux web server, they'll need to buy the ChiliSoft product ( for about $500.00 in order to use ASP. Otherwise, if your company is using a third-party internet hosting company, they'll need to check with them to see if ASP is supported (in other words, if the hosting company has invested in the ChiliSoft product). If that's not the case, your company could shop around for another hosting company that does support ASP on Linux. Or, they could switch to a hosting company that provides the Microsoft IIS platform. However, that would also incur some expense, because CGI scripts would have to be rewritten or modified, and email would have to be set up, transferred and configured all over again. Besides, there are increased security risks related to switching to Microsoft (see the recent Gartner Group reports on IIS security risks at

What kind of DB should I use?

Since you are currently using Access, I can tell that you're not using stored procedures. There are a number of databases available on Linux, but the two main (free) databases are MySQL and PostGRE. For what you're doing, either one would work fine. If you wanted to use stored procedures, PostGRE would be a better choice. Again, you need to check with the internet host company to see which ones are supported.

How can I test it without having access to the server?

You don't need physical access to the server, but you will need remote access to upload your web pages (etc.) to the server using either ftp or http. Then you test your pages through your browser by accessing areas (directories or undisclosed pages or links) of your company's site that you set up for development and testing.

In summary, if your company doesn't want to spend *any* money, the likelyhood that you will be able to use ASP is probably very low or non-existent.

PHP was mentioned, which is a great alternative to ASP, but again, you'll have to check with the internet host company to find out if they support it yet. If your company's internet server is in-house, then you just need to convince management to install PHP on that server. Your sys admin folks will have to get familiar with any new security risks adding PHP may pose and YOU will have to get cracking learning PHP...

Hope my comments help.

Well program secrets put things in very good persepective, but i have a helpful tip.

I was in the same boat you were in a few weeks ago. If you are not familiar with SQL stuff, as was the situation for me and are going to mySQL/PHP (which I did), use this lil script called PHPMYADMIN. It really helps manage the database like a dream. It honestly helped me get thru avoiding the command prompt and the syntax for creating tables which has a high learning overhead. Thats just my opinion. PHPMYADMIN remember it-- do a google search for it, you'll find it on the web, its GREAT.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back