Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP.NET2.0 and Web.config: Where is the localhost wwwroot???

Status
Not open for further replies.

vituja123

Programmer
Jun 16, 2005
US
Hi All,

I've been using Asp.net1.1 for a few years now but when I create an app in 2.0, I don't see a C:\inetpub\ directory anymore.

In the past i created a single web.config file and placed on the root of my local machine (c:\inetpub\ which allows a global database connection string amoung other values. But now since Asp.net2 does not have a static IIS server, where can I put the web.config file so that all apps can untilize it?

Also I use to call an app from another app, but again without a static webserver on my local machine, how do I perform a response.redirect to another application when there is not
Many of my apps redirect to a login page called \authenicate\login.aspx, but the calling app does not know where to locate the so a backslash does not find the root.

Please help. Basic question is, where can all the apps on my local host share a parent directory like it did when IIS was running?

From VS2005 Help:
Specifies the Web application type that you want to create or open. The location type you select determines the format of the location in the Location Box. Location types include:

File System A Web application in a folder on your local or a remote computer (using a UNC). The files are not associated with an Internet Information Services (IIS) application unless you create an IIS virtual directory to point to them. For details, see How to: Create File System Web Sites.

HTTP An IIS Web application on your local computer or a remote computer. The files are stored under the Web application root (typically, Inetpub/ If you are creating a local application using HTTP, you must have IIS installed on your computer. If you are creating an IIS application on a remote computer, the computer must be configured with FrontPage Server Extensions from Microsoft, and you must have permissions to create folders and files on that computer. For details, see How to: Create Local IIS Web Sites and How to: Create Remote IIS Web Sites.

FTP A Web application to which you can connect using File Transfer Protocol (FTP) credentials. You must have credentials to attach to the FTP server and permissions to read and write to the FTP location.

Jim

when I create an app in 2.0, I don't see a C:\inetpub\ directory anymore.
You will if you deploy it to there. VS2005 comes with it's own built in web server that can be used for testin so there is no need to put it in that directory unless you are deploying the app (and even then it doesn't have to be in the directory).

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back