Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP.NET web Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

jino

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
CA
Hi There,

I am developing a ASP.NET web application which will be part of a website which already exists. I have to create new pages that look similar to the existing pages and the central part of the page will have the web forms.

Can anyone give me ideas and directions on how to get this started?

I am thinking of having a master page that will have all the menu and navigation contents in place and subclassing that page for other pages. Is this a good idea?

Please give me some directions in this regard.

Thanks

Jino

I am thinking of having a master page that will have all the menu and navigation contents in place and subclassing that page for other pages. Is this a good idea?
That's pretty much what is recommended. Another alternative would be to not use master pages and just create user controls for the menu and navigation sections and just add them to each page.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I do understand the need for a master page. But I am not sure how to develop this. I have to use the HTML code from the existing pages and in the middle of the page, i need to display my webb forms.

Can you refer me to any web tutorials where I can find such information?

Jino

Assuming that the "HTML code from the existing pages" really is just HTML then it should make it very easy. Have a look at this MSDN article on Master Pages:

Also, 4Guys have an article on them:

Hi Again,

Thanks for the links. But I dont have the Master Page options in my version of VS.NET. I guess I have to create user controls like header and footer to give my pages a consistent look.

Jino

Master Pages were introduced in version 2.0 of the framework. I assumed that's what you were using as you mentioned a Master Page in your original question.

An alternative, would then be to use Page Inheritance and include those User Controls in the class that each page inherits from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back