Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP.NET performance analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ik646

MIS
Apr 23, 2003
US
Good Day All,

I am trying to anaylze the WAN impact of a new ASP.Net application rolled out by my company. It seems that my WAN utilization has increased at least 20% and my sniffer is recording 'minor' alarms. These are mostly 'ACK too Long' and 'Window Frozen'. Would these errors be indicative of application preformance problems?

Thanks.
ik646

It may have no relevance to what you're testing but I just had an interesting occurence that had exactly the same symptoms. I was testing file transfers on copper Gigabit between two PC's with Intel Pro copper gig NIC cards. Our SmartBits was temporarily out of order and we were looking for anomalies or error patterns in cable lengths and other intermediate devices. Regardless of cable length or device, we got multiple Ack Too Long symptoms at both ends of the conversation and one Window frozen symptom at the sednign end each time we did the transfer (it was a 100 meg file). Our assumption was that the front side bus and the write to disc capabilities of the old PC's were were using (PII 400mhz with 128 meg RAM) was an issue and the likely cause of the problem. Not necessariily in way related to what you're seeing but those were the only two symptoms we saw. As cable length was increased the number changed but they were consistent.

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Northeastern SE

I'm having the same problem. We have a VPN connection to a client. Going through the VPN connection we get frequent Ack Too Long and Window Frozen errors on the ASP.NET pages. It happens consistently and always on the same page. When we route around the VPN with a public IP address everything works fine, so we were guessing a routing issue but have not been able to resolve the issue. Our IIS box can ping the clients side and tracert shows the correct information. Our DB box however is not setup with a routable address but since the client never calls the db directly I don't think that should cause any issues.

If anyone finds a solution let us know.

Patrick Murphy
SmartSignal Corp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back