Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP.NET Lang

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalar

Programmer
Sep 19, 2004
GB
Hi,

Im currently a web developer, but only have experience in using PHP (includes MySQL integration).

I've decided to start learning ASP.NET - I have no knowledge of ASP either, so this will be totally new to me.

I am looking for books to buy, but I am confused as to which ones to buy, in terms of which language they use, as i am new to this, please forgive me if the following is incorrect,

based on what I have seen, you can program ASP.NET pages using C# or VB.NET code...

Certain books teach you via VB.NET code and others use just C#, So Which type should I choose?? I thought C# would be the better one but not sure...

Thanks for reading!

dalar,

You are correct to say that you use C# of VB.net in your "CodeBehind" pages.

If you are not familiar with C# or VB.net, I would recommend picking up ASP.net in 24 hours. It has some great walkthroughs to help you dive right in.

You may also want to spend some time researching IIS Configuration for your PC to support asp.net pages.

Finally: C# rocks. Has more functionality at the core level but most books (including ASP.net in 24 hours) are geared towards VB.net.

Many more jobs in C#.
Infact, you don't want to mention VB unless the employer uses vb only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back