Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP.NET Application Performance Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ik646

MIS
Apr 23, 2003
US
Good Day, All.

My company has recently developed a ASP.NET application and have begun migrating my local users to the system. Since then, there has been a considerable increase in our WAN utilization. I am trying to analyze the change, and my sniffer shows 'minor' errors on ACK To Long and Window Frozen for clients' transactions with the web application. Are these really minor, or are they indicative of application performance problems?

Thanks.
ik646

There's no way most of us can help you based on that little information. I think if you show some code of suspicious files, we could help.

Here are a couple things that come to mind when I think of performance hits:

Using old ASP code
Not using efficient queries, ie pulling a thousand records out of the database and filtering it client side. Avoid pulling them out in the first place!
Not closing connections to data.
Using datasets instead of datareaders
Not paging data
Using xml as a datastore for lots of data

Quite a few other things but those are what come to mind. Post some of your source code and we can look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back