Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asp.net 2.0 browse url without debugging Error: page cant be displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara05

Programmer
Apr 13, 2007
US
Hello,

I used to have Visual studio 2003 and asp.net framework 1.1. and i would put on the web browser http:\\localhost|SelectCrystalReport\Webform.aspx. And it would run fine. Meaning without having the visual studio opened and in debugging state. But now I have Visual studio 2005 and asp.net 2.0 and If i try to run without debugging it. I tried taking :4038 out and ran. But it wouldnt still work. It would give error message: Page cant be displayed. If i hit debug button- The ASP.net development server starts running but if i dont debug it I should be able to view the page? Can someone help me why this has changed or How can i view page without having to debug it from browser?

Thank you.

Your help will be appreciated

Visual Studio 2005 uses it's own built in web server by default. If you don't start it, it won't be available when you try to browse to the path.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244.

You can change the project to run under IIS instead of the file system, as you have it, and then it will work if you just type the URL.

How can I run under IIS instead of file system? Could you please tell me where to go.. etc?

Thanks!

1.) You could create a new project and make sure you create it as an IIS project. Then copy in all of your existing pages.

Or..

2.) a.)Create a virtual directory in IIS.
b.)Right click the project you want to change and select property pages
c.)click "Start Options " in the tree view
d.)Under Server, select "use Custom Server" and enter the Base URL " dir name

I am not sure what you mean by creating virtual directory in IIS. When I went to use custom server and I tried entering or even the directory location.. and try to debug it it would give error message unable to start debugger.

Thanks

I think it would just be easier for you to create a new web site, and then select the location to be HTTP. Then copy any existing files to that folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back