Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP MS Access Operation must use an updateable query

Status
Not open for further replies.

stergiosnik

Technical User
Sep 19, 2007
GR
Hello.

I have problem with an .ASP page that can not update a Microsoft Access Database. I get this error.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.

/in/disser/registration/savedissertation.asp, line 79

The strange thing is that if I grant modify permissions to my windows account on the "database" folder which contains the .mdb file then I can write in the database without problem.

But, if I grant modify permissions to the Internet Guest account on the same folder I see the above error message.

The same ASP script was working without problems in the recent past but suddendly in the last week this strange problem is occuring.

The Internet Guest account is not working anymore even with Full Control permissions.

Any ideas what is causing this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Stergios

I forgot to mention that I am hosting the ASP application on a Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6.0.

Stergios

Are you sure you have anonymous access turned on for the IUSER_machinename account in IIS6 for this site?

I figured out that if the ASP code and the database is stored in a folder that is accessed via "Basic Authentication" then the Internet Guest account is not working.

If I place the code in a folder without any authentication then the Internet Guest account it works.

The basic authentication causes something that prohibits the Internet Guest account from operating.

I'm not a sys admin and this may not be the right way to fix the problem but it may work.

If your access database is called fred.mdb, from the cmd line on the server, type
Code:
cacls fred.mdb /E /G everyone:c
That should give everyone change access to the file.

I guess choosing "Basic Authentication" disables "Anonymous Access" .... which of course makes sense, but the interface in IIS6 is confusing because both can be checked. I think in IIS7 you have to disable Anonymous authentication before you can choose basic or windows authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back