Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asp/html/db question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamarama

Programmer
Dec 29, 2006
US
This may or may not be the right place to ask this, but direct me if it isn't

I have a site that contains jokes, 1000's of them. they are all stored in a db and all are categorized and have a unique id. you know the drill, you click on the title, and it passes the id and obtains the joke. Here comes the question... On other sites that I have seen, when the joke is called, it appears to be on it's own page. for example, mine would display the page as but on other sites it is shows as so it is like it is just a regular html page and not an asp page. or it looks like each joke is stored on it's own html page. now that doesn't sound realistic, as there would be 1000's of pages.

How is the address being shown like this when I know it in't pure html

I think, after looking at source code, that sites are using wordpress. Could that be how they are doing it?

Yep and using Apache's .htaccess to rewrite URLs

I had find another way around for my CMS (ASP & MySQL so employed some tricks with a custom 404 page.

If you have control over your server you might be able to install ISAPIRewrite which uses Apache type regular expressions.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

thanks for the advice. I will have to look into the rewrite. I am thinking of working on this as a project myself, since I have the time. I don't think I have enough control over my server to install that. I am tlking to them now.

thanks again

Then if you are writing it yourself goind down the route that I did with using the 404 page to decode the error as passed to the page and redirect or transfer to the appropriate script.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back