Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP file upload through ADO crashes database

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneezeDragon

Programmer
Mar 6, 2002
US
I'm running an ASP web application using Oracle 8i and IIS 5.0 on Win2K. I use ADO for data access. Part of the application allows users to upload files into the Oracle DB as BLOBs.

My problem is unpredicable and nearly impossible to reproduce: Occasionally, a file upload fails to occur (no record is created in the file upload table), but no error is reported either in Oracle or ASP. After this error, when a user tries an operation that accesses the file upload table, the database completely locks up and needs to be bounced.

This problem ONLY occurs in production, not in the separate but identical development environment. As the only difference between the two is user load, I'm suspecting that some conflict of resources is causing it.

Records are being added through "rs.AddNew" and "rs.Update", where rs is an ADODB.Recordset. The recordset is opened with a dynamic cursor and optimistic lock. (Would I benefit from a pessimistic lock?)

Does anyone have any suggestions or information? I've already posted in some Oracle forums, but I also want to get an ADO perspective.

THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back