Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP editor? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello!

How can i make my ASP file what editor should i have to make my pages in ASP?

sorry for my ignorance, just curious about ASP programming so i wanted to learn ASP please help!

Also very usefull is Microsoft Visual Interdev.
I think it's one of the most used editor for asp pages...

FoxFire

FoxFire5 is right - Visual Interdev is pretty good.
I have also used Sausage Hotdog which works well with ASP. Mise Le Meas,

Mighty :)

Have you tried SpiderWriter? Spider Writer is a powerful HTML editing and web development suite. Spider Writer fully supports HTML, ASP, JavaScript, VBScript, CSS, XML, Perl, SQL, PHP, CFML, and more. One of the things I enjoy is the "intellisense"-like dropdowns for HTML and ASP contructs.

Hello again! ;-)
By the way thanks all the response!!!
For example i have my ASP page then i want it to run on my explorer should i compile my ASP pages? if ever what compiler should i have before it runs? if not should my ASp pages runs on my explorer without showing my code?

Is this a good question? or just another of my ignorance? ;-)

Thanks again guyz!

this is just u'r Ignorance... Try reading some book on ASP fundamentals. U will get all u'r answers.

regards,

srinu

ASP code only works on a server, that is you need to run the page in the form
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://localhost/myproject/myfile.asp[/URL]
and not
Code:
c:\myproject\myfile.asp
because ASP is a server-side script that only executes on the server. To do so, you need either PWS for win95 and win98, or IIS for win2000 and winXP.

Salibas

just to have my pennies worth -- notepad is fine to begin with , when you want to get more advanced try interdev or homepage 4.5 , but if you want it to look good as well you will need to get dreamweaver, interdev for programmers , dreamweaver for designers/developers

I use Textpad 4.5 at It costs only 16.95 for a single user liscense. Plus you can use it w/o a liscense. However, as a computer user I must always advise on purchasing a liscense. Not only is it a good deal. I have found that it is the best tool out their for programmers.

Benifits:
---------
Color syntax for multiple file types: ASP, JSP, HTML, etc.
Shows line numbers
Lets you configure keyboard hot keys
Allows multiple files to be open
Macro developemnt
Advanced Editing tools
Java Compiler
..and on ..and on
PLUS it is easy to learn. I have not had to read any directions or help menus for assistance.

I also agree with simonchristieis that dreamweaver can make your page look good. However, it has a does not format or comment the code. Therefore a maintenance in a page that has been created by a tool such as dreamweaver can be a pain in the you know what. Also, if you have created a file and formated it to you liking and then decide to open it in dreaweaver; dreamweaver once again will format the page to its liking.

If you are just starting out in programming. You can also use Microsoft's Personal Web Server on Win98, WinNT Workstation. PWS is a watered down version of IIS. You can start developing your ASP pages very quickly w/o the hassle of setting up IIS. However, you will want IIS on your production environment.

By the way guyz! can any one recommend some good asp books for begginners like me also?

Beginning Active Server Pages 3.0

and

Professional ADO & RDS Programming w/ ASP

both by WROX press. Both excellent books. Anything you see published by WROX is a sure-fire hit. I've never been disappointed.
penny1.gif
penny1.gif

I like DevPad....Its free and full of color codeing.
(but my asp is still messy)

kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back