Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP and file scripting object intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

glynnj

Programmer
Jun 5, 2002
IE
I have been given a task to develop a “simply and maintenance free” intranet. I am new to ASP so any help is appreciated.

The intranet will contain Word and Excel documents. I have created a folder structure to organise the docs and am planning to use the file scripting object to list the folders and files, the idea being that a not-technical person can just drop a document into a folder and it will appear on the intranet. The user should be able to navigate a directory structure and can select a document on the intranet, which would display the document properties – author, title, company, subject etc using OLE automation. I cannot enable directory browsing in IIS because I only want certain folders/files to be displayed depending on the file name. I am also restricted from using ASP.Net.

With my limited knowledge of ASP, I am not sure where to start.

Simple and maintenance free? Which pointy hair gave you that one?

I am guessing from your comments that you are familiar with ASP.NET. You would do it the same way with ASP 3.0. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back