Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASP 2 Javascript Conversion Utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillBruce

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a utility to convert ASP to Javascript. I'm not a programmer, but I'm hoping this tool exits to help our development team.

I am confused why someone would want to try a conversion of ASP to JavaScript. Are you going to use JScript as your server-side language? Please give more details.

The reason for my confusion is that ASP and JavaScript are completely different languages with completely different reasons for existing. ASP is a server-side language, while JavaScript is primarily a client-side language.

Confused, Einstein47
(Love is like PI - natural, irrational, endless, and very important.)

Einstein . . . thanks for replying. We're looking to make some ASP functional on an AS400, which doesn't run it except with WebSphere (as I understand it). My guys say that converting to Java will allow us to run it on the 400.

I've found a couple of utilities in the last 1/2hr that allow such a conversion. There's a utility within Halcyon's iASP product ( And there's one here:

But, I'm still looking for a quick, inexpensive product that'll meet our needs.

Thanks,
BillBruce

BillBruce,

Sun Chili!Soft makes a product that lets non-MicroSoft servers (Apache, iPlanet, etc.) run ASP pages. Does Chili!Soft have a version for AS400? That is the question. Here's their URL:
I know that on one of my AIX 4.3.3 disks was a preview version. If they did a version for AS400, you would be good to go.

It would be a MAJOR effort to translate your ASP into Java for WebSphere. I would almost suggest spending the money on an NT server instead of recoding everything to run in WebSphere.

And just so you know, JavaScript and Java are two completely different animals. They are related in name only (in fact the original name of JavaScript by the Netscape developers was to be LiveScript, but their boss wanted to give the language some "Java" influence where none existed). Einstein47
(Love is like PI - natural, irrational, endless, and very important.)

Billbruce,

JavaScript is not JSP. JSP stands for Java Server Pages and is executed on the server side. JavaScript is a scripting language that allows you to do client side tasks.

Mind you there is sucha thing as server side JavaScript but it isn't used very much at all except in Netscape servers.

Hope this help. I praise efforts to change ASP to JSP. Gary Haran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back