Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asm, _asm, or __asm can't be used!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughLg

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
MY
In my Borland C++ 5.5.1 free command line tools and dev-C++ newest version, I can't compile the asm, _asm, or __asm keywords!

The Borland C++ says "Unable to execute TASM32.exe". Yes, I've checked the directory, this program doesn't exists (previously I thought it'll compiled all together with bcc32). Any solution to insert the assembly code in C++?

I'm not sure the assembler is included with the C/C++ compilers anymore. I think they broke it out into a separate package.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

If you read the fine print - "..no inline assembly" with the freebie version.

But isn't that ANSI standard keyword? Then how can I use assembly code in C++? Since some code must be written in assembly code.

1. Register at Borland.com for a FREE BuilderX personal key

2. Download and install it

3. Download this patch,
4. Install the patch

Now you are inline-asm ready!

(this patch is released by Borland, it's on their site also somewhere)

That should do it...not sure why they do things this way, but what can ya do?

Trope

I've download and followed the all instructions. But the readme file in within zip file says the old tasm.exe must exists in order to use these all.

And after all, I still cannot use the tasm32.exe.

I am sorry, I misread the first post, I thought you mentioned it DID exist.

In that case, here is what you have to do:

It's a pain, but...

Keep BuilderX - it rocks for a freebie...

1. Download and install the Builder 6 Evaluation full Edition.

TASM WILL now be installed. There is no "expiration" on TASM alone as far as I can see.

Run the patch.

When time comes to uninstall Builder6, keep TASM.

Try that, essentially that is what I have done and all is well here.

Good Luck,
Trope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back