Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[ask] How to disable right click on browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Nov 26, 2001
ID
I am just creating a website (containing flash file) and try to put the code menu=false to disable right click on the flash file (Flash file is creating with swishmax).

Is there any better way to do it?

Thanks in advanced.

To do this in Flash, you'd need to ask in the Flash forum. However, I'd also advise that it's pretty pointless to do so (disable the right-click, not ask in the Flash forum, that is).

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Is there any better way to do it?

The easiest way to disable the right mouse click is not to disable it.

Usually the people that want such things done don't even have a good reason why they want these things done.

[monkey][snake] <.

Thanks for the respon guys.

My Customer ask me to disable the right click on their website to give little protection for their website contents.

I already found a way with using 123HTML protector. :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, this question comes up fairly often here and when the proper advice is given the OP normally gets upset.

Disabling right clicks is bad and will at best provide a completely false sense of 'security' for your client.

How clever will you look to your client when you install this thing then he sees his content somewhere else?

Far better to educate your client than to obfuscate the issue by seemingly to meet his demands. Tell him that what he wants is not a practical solution to what, for him, is a real problem.

Whilst 123HTML Protector and scripts of its ilk may provide (extremely) casual 'protection' for the content you must be aware it won't really protect much at all.
I assume you have educated your client in how the web works and by publishing something online you give the world the option to copy it. They will if they want to, you can't stop them by disabling right clicks.

It's the same as with a printed brochure really. Does your client have one? Does he employ a fiendish device to stop people photocopying or even photographing its contents? Probably not.

Obviously I don't know what this content is, but is it really that amazing and unique that it will be a problem if it is copied? I'd be suprised. If it is something very special that will create problems for your client should it be copied then the best advice is to not put it online in a useable form.

If security and breach of copyright is that serious an issue for you client then he/you should consider other means of protection. For example, if he is wanting to protect images (I guess this is the case) a much more sensible option might be to watermark them in some way.

Disabling the right click action is, at best, pointless and at worst irritating.

Finally, if this content is a Flash movie, the right click brings up the Flash Player context menu anyway.

I hope that is of some help for you in getting a better understanding of why 'we' all give the same advice. i.e. Don't bother with it.

Would you care to show us the site in question?

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

If the information is to be kept away from prying eyes, then why not incorporate user authentication?

Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." (Paul Ehrlich)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

Just to elaborate on what has already been said, if an image appears on screen, it can be copied - no problem. The most obvious ways are taking a screen-shot and cropping it in an image editor, or going through the page code to discover the image URL and hitting the image directly from the browser.

Also, by disabling active scripting (Microsoft terminology), disabling right-click by using JavaScript is rendered useless anyhow.

But you've probably got the point by now! :)

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:
My home page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back