Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASA5510 Internal Flash and RAM upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomsnine

MIS
Feb 4, 2010
US
I'm not seeing a Tek-Tips forum specific to Cisco security appliances, so I figured the router forum was the closest to it. Please relocate this query and point me to its new home if need be.

So I am planning a code upgrade on my ASA5510. Currently running 8.0(4) and have been told by Cisco TAC to bump up to the latest and greatest - 8.3. In order to accommodate the new code, I have to swap out the internal compact flash and RAM for higher capacity chips.

The flash and RAM upgrade procedure itself is straight forward as found here - and here -
The question I have, which is not addressed by Cisco in there upgrade guide is this: The ASA OS lives in Flash. If I take one flash out and replace it with a new flash wouldn't I need to "copy tftp flash" the ASA OS to the new flash??? Maybe I am revealing a bit of n00b here, but at least I am asking. If this is the case, I can't believe Cisco wouldn't include this requirement in the upgrade guide.

TIA

I would not upgrade to 8.3 unless you are familiar with the repercussions of doing so, It will break your current nat and accesses rules, as well as malform all object names. It is recommended that you start fresh with 8.3, not and in place upgrade.

AS for the ram upgrade, any 512mb ddr stick will do. Its all x86 hardware in there, and a sandisk is more then adequate.

You may put the new flash into the External flash slot, copy the new code to it, verify and then replace the internal boot flash. Or just leave the external one in and point to that as a boot item.

CCNP

Appreciate the advice and heads up on the NAT changes. I did check out the 8.3 upgrade guide and saw these items mentioned. The main thing driving this upgrade is an SSLVPN/Oracle Apps incompatibility that we are experiencing. Cisco has acknowledged a couple bugs in the earlier code relating to SSLVPN and Oracle.

The Oracle stuff living in our internal network is accessed by a variety of different folks, not just employees. So we opted for SSLVPN and are allowing limited access to certain resources.

I suppose I could try out 8.2 and see if that alleviates the issue.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back