Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASA 5520 SW Upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKoenig

Technical User
Aug 12, 2010
DE
Greetings all,

i have to upgrade a ASA 5520 from 7.2.3 to 8.??

My Question is (since i am not very experienced with ASA's)

Can someone give advices on which is the latest version that i can run on a box with 512 MB DRAM and 256 MB flash ?

Do i have to obtain a new license-key for the upgrade ?

Thanks for your help

The newest version you can run is 8.2, if you want to go to 8.3 or higher when they are released you will need to upgrade the RAM.

If you have an active smartnet agreement, then you can download the software from cisco.com. If not, then I am not sure.

upgrading the software is the easy part: upload the file to the flash, set the new boot image, remove the entry for the old boot image (can have more than one boot system command) and then reboot the device.

If you are using the ASDM:
Upload: Tools > File Management > File Transfer
Set the boot image: Configuration > Device Management > System Image/Configuration > Boot Image/Configuration
(same screen lets you set the ASDM image path. just upload the file, change the image path, close the ASDM and relaunch to use the new ASDM code, dont have to restart the device)

for the CLI: (use the file names on your system)
upload the file to the flash
enter config mode
boot system flash:/asa822-4-k8.bin
no boot system flash:/asa723-k8.bin
then restart when you are ready (wont change anything untill the device restarts)

upgrading the config, different story. read the release notes and make sure that your current config will be compatible with the new code. I went from a PIX right into an ASA with v8 software so I did a brand new config didn't have to worry about this part.

----------------------------
Josh

Stay away from 8.3. It will screw up ALL your NATs and you will have to recreate them again. That is if you have any NATs in your FW.

might as well get used to it, that's the way the code will be from here on out. do it now or do it later, either way you'll end up doing it.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Thanks for your inputs.

since we have no smartnet agreement, we purchased a one-time-upgrade
ASA-SW-UPGRADE=

The package did not contain a Product Authorization Key, so i am uncertain whether a new lisence-key is necessary

any idea ?

Thanks again

You only need a new authorization key if you are unlocking a new feature that you don't have (i.e. adding vpn connections, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back