Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASA 5510 VPN license question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKoenig

Technical User
Aug 12, 2010
DE
greetings all,

i plan to replace a pix with an asa 5510.

We want to use mobile phones with windows mobile OS to get vpn access to our exchange server.

on the mobile phones we want to use outlook mobile clients (beside the vpn client)

My problem now is, what do i need to buy ?

is a ASA 5510 with base license an appropriate choice
or do i need additional this license: L-ASA-AC-M-5510=
or something else

thanks in advance

I have been looking into ASA licensing this morning so some stuff fresh in my head plus some VPN info I already have.

Assuming you have the appropriate ASA configuration and your Exchange Server (or one of your exchange servers) with an Internet facing interface then ActiveSync is relatively easy to setup for email/calender stuff. For VPN connectivity you can use Windows Mobile 6.0/6.1/6.5 built-in L2TP/IPSec VPN client (as well as Windows XP, Windows Vista & Windows 7...) that requires no additional licensing on the ASA (the 5510 with a Base license supports 250 IPSec VPN connections). However if you wish to use Cisco's AnyConnect VPN client (more secure apparently, however if 3DES isn't enough?) then you must purchase additional licenses. ASA 8.2 introduced separate AnyConnect Mobile license options and I am not sure how this all works, however I assume you would need the appropriate license to support the number of potential Mobile clients?

HTH

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back