Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asa 5510 dynamically assignmed fixed address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3the01

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
CA
Hello,

I have cisco 5510 with a horrible service provider, they use nt servers for providing static ips.

Basically u have a couple static ips but they need to be assigned through dhcp.

So i set the asa to grab the address, everything works great for a few days sometimes weeks.

Then everything stops, and i need to power cycle the asa or force the asa to request a new address.

Basically what i think is happening on the service provider end is they assign these address through DHCP for say a lease period of 7 days.

They have some sort of problem, reboot the nt server or flush the assigned addresses and until the asa gets to 50% of its 7 day lease time it will 'not' request the address again.

So the service provider shows no requested address for our static ip and in turn does not forward anything to us till we request the address again.

Is there any way to force say ever 6 hours to request the address cause im getting really sick of needing to drive to the site to do this or have an employee power cycle the asa dropping all VPN clients in the process.

Thanks for your time,

I hope that was clear:)

If the IP address from your Service Provider never changes, why don't you just statically assign it anyway?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back