Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(ASA) 5505 - SA520

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockCave

Technical User
Jan 10, 2010
IE
I couldn't find a better place to ask this so I hope this forum will do...

We are a small company <50 staff and are looking into replacing one of our FireWalls. So I narrowed it down to either a 5505 or SA520. I know the SA520 includes a few additional (paid) services which can be very handy on top of the firewall it provides. Should the UTM inclusion be the only reason to select the one above the other?

Thx

if you don't already have any of the services that the SA520 offers then it would be a good buy. i've never been a huge fan of devices that implement UTM just because most manufacturers don't do it right (when turned on the resource usage goes through the roof), but I'd be willing to give Cisco a shot at it if I needed it. You may want to look at alternatives such as pairing a 5505 with hosted WebSense web filtering and MXLogic or Postini for e-mail filtering.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

You know I was initially looking at the 5505 but then I noticed the 520 and thought, well it might be a good idea... On the other hand I hear what you say about resources being used. That is what happened with the TZ180 we had.

I am also not a real fan of one thing fits all especially at the lower end of product range.

Been looking today for some honest opinions but there aren't many forums where you can get feedback on the specific product in a production environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back