Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASA 5505 not taking commands from ASDM or cli.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2007
US
Good morning,

I am trying to get our schools ASA 5505 work with a DSL modem, and it has done fine untill now. The only issue has been speed. So I go in and check the port speeds and try to change them. At almost anything I do for a command it gives me the infamous
ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker. So this is as far as I've gotten.

Since it does this in both the ASDM and the CLI, is it toast or could it be upgraded? It has ASA ver 7.2 and ASDM ver 5.2. I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks,

John

It sounds like you are at privilege level 1:
Code:
ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
ciscoasa> conf t
You need to enter the enable password at the CLI. Via ASDM you need to be at privilege level 15 anyway so I am not sure whats going on there.

The 'show version' command works at privilege level 0 so try this just to verify that this is your issue.

Current ASA software is 8.4(4)1 and ASDM 6.4(9), you may just be able to upgrade to this but you may need more memory.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the reply. I was able to get back into it using the information you gave me.
It's back in shape and working fine now.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back