Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASA 5505: Logging to Flash memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

atherton

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2009
GB
Hi all

I have a Cisco ASA 5505 firewall that keeps disappearing from the local LAN and WAN - both the inside and outside interfaces drop and the device doesn't respond to PING or route traffic.

I want to log system messages so that I can see what's happening at the time that the system becomes unavailable. I've tried using an external syslog server but the ASA crashes/disappears before it seems to be able to log anything. I think it can't get to the network before it can send any error message. I think SNMP would be affected in the same way.

I've looked at logging to the console port but Cisco don't recommend doing that on a production device as it only supports 9600 baud and can cause availability problems if log messages get backed up.

So I'm now thinking of logging messages directly to the internal Flash memory on the device. I know that you can buffer log messages and then write the buffer to Flash when it fills up. What I'm looking for is a system to log directly to Flash as soon as a log message needs to be written, so that I don't loose the relevant errors when the device crashes and the buffer memory isn't full.

Does anyone know how to set the ASA up to log directly to Flash memory - or can I use a USB drive in the external USB port?

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back