Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS400 to AS400 file FTP keeping fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blobtech

Programmer
Dec 19, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a whole host of files that I need to transfer from an old AS400 to a new one. I can write scripts to FTP all the files across. However, when they get to the new system, all the fields are converted into a single field. Does anyone know how to get around this?

(I know that I can save to a SAVF, send the SAVF, then restore from the SAVF, but that seems like a lot of messing about because I am only interested in the PFs and not the LFs which will cut down on the amount of data being FTPd across)

Lee

Saving logical files shouldn't take up all that much room, as it that does is save the access path.

Are there any other objects in the library other than files? Why not use the SAVRSTLILB command? This will allow you to save the library & send/restore it to a new machine in one step.

The destination machine will rebuild the access paths for the logicals (by default the access paths are not saved on the source machine, so this cuts down on time).

Well I've never even heard of the SAVRSTLIB command. Shows how long since I've paid any attention to IBM!

The libraries in question have all sorts of programs and DSPF in them. I don't need the logicals, just the PFs.

Looks like I'll be doing it the old fashioned way then! Thanks for your help anyway.

YOu can write the scripts,, but doing saves, and restores, have been a backbone of working on the IBM midrange platforms. FTP is not old fashioned, it is new wave. Cause you can't move data, via ftp, when the TCP/IP was not supported.

First send the DDS members over and compile the physicals. Then, and only then, do you FTP the files over (using BINARY or EBCDIC mode). FTP does not know what the file on the receiving end is supposed to look like; it just transfers the data. It can't send the DDS over with the file.

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back