Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS400 bisync to GEIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

basspro

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2002
US
Need assistance connection an AS400 via bisync to the GEIS network. I already have set up a mailbox with GE and ready to test; however, am experiencing some problems.

Has anyone else already done this?

basspro:

Yes, I've worked with it quite a bit. You can start by giving some details on what kind of problems that you are having.

K. Hood

I am not using a package. I have set up the controller, line, device, and icf descriptions. I have a generic RPG bsc program written by a guy in Oklahoma that supposedly works with Walmart. I have made modifications to that program to comply with GEIS.

When I run the program (CL and RPG) to attemp to connect to GE the system dials the number then seems to never actually connect (receiving time out on AS400).

The records I (think) am sending to GEIS are:
user-number,password,MAILA (with an asterisk in column 80 to denote 3780)
*LTID MAILBOXA
*MODE INPUT,WAIT
PRINT MESSAGE;MAILBOXA;NONE
*EOS

The RPG program:
Open ICFfile
'ICF00 ' ACQ(E) ICFfile
Movea Cmd(1) IcfEdi080 (Cmd(1) is user-number... from above)
IcfEdi080 is ICFfile record (80 characters)
Movea Cmd(2) IcfEdi080 (Cmd(2) is *LTID... from above)
Movea Cmd(3) IcfEdi080 (Cmd(3) is *Mode... from above)
Movea Cmd(4) IcfEdi080 (Cmd(4) is Print... from above)
Movea Cmd(5) IcfEdi080 (Cmd(5) is *EOS.... from above)

I then turn around and read the IcfEdi080 and write any data received to an AS400 file.

I realize this is somewhat jumbled but hard to get RPG code on this format.

Here is our GEIS script for receive:

USERID,PASSWORD,MAILA *(in 80)
*LTID MAILBOXA,CPUNCH(132)
*MODE INPUT(OUTPUT(HIST653A),LIST),WAIT,TAB(HSSTABLE)
/EDXRCV
*EOS

Check to see if you have the all of the commands above - I couldn't tell you what they do individually.
What kind of modem & what does the line description look like?

Also, you may want to experiment calling another phone number for GEIS, even if it's long-distance just to see if it works -- we had problems with our local GEIS modems.

Our modem is the IBM 7855
Have already tried three different numbers.

Our line description:
Line description . . . . . . . . . : GEBSCLINE
Option . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *BASIC
Category of line . . . . . . . . . : *BSC

Resource name . . . . . . . . . . : LIN031
Online at IPL . . . . . . . . . . : *NO
Application type . . . . . . . . . : *PGM
Physical interface . . . . . . . . : *RS232V24
Connection type . . . . . . . . . : *SWTPP
Vary on wait . . . . . . . . . . . : 60
Autocall unit . . . . . . . . . . : *NO
Clocking . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *MODEM
Duplex . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *FULL
Line speed . . . . . . . . . . . . : 9600
Modem type supported . . . . . . . : *NORMAL
Modem data rate select . . . . . . : *FULL
Switched connection type . . . . . : *BOTH

Autoanswer . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NO
Autoanswer type . . . . . . . . . : *DTR
Autodial . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *YES
Dial command type . . . . . . . . : *V25BIS
Calling number . . . . . . . . . . : *NONE
Maximum buffer size . . . . . . . : 512
Character code . . . . . . . . . . : *EBCDIC
SYN characters . . . . . . . . . . : 2
Error threshold level . . . . . . : *OFF
Text . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : GE BSC line

Our controller description:
Controller description . . . . . . : GEBSCCTL
Option . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *BASIC
Category of controller . . . . . . : *BSC

Connection type . . . . . . . . . : *SWTPP
Application type . . . . . . . . . : *PGM
Initial connection . . . . . . . . : *DIAL
Connection number . . . . . . . . : 13362727975
Local identifier . . . . . . . . . : *NOID
Text . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : GE BSC controller

basspro,

We have a different modem and the only difference that I see is that ours is set at HALF duplex. That's probably not the issue, but won't hurt to try.

You must be in the Greensboro area, because I recognize that number. I'm in Charlotte.

What about the receive script, are you missing any commands that I sent in my previous message?

I realize that you only posted a partial ICF program above, but you are writing a DETACH record at some point aren't you?

Hopefully one of these will help you.

K.Hood

Actually I work in both Laurinburg and Charlotte. The Greensboro number is the only one I was given for 9600 baud.

I have changed the duplex to half and am getting the same results.

I inserted some code to print exactly what I am sending to GE and everything looks fine.

Just to be sure, when GE says user-number,password do they mean the EDI*Express user number or the qualifier/id?

I am sending detach.

basspro,

They mean the GE UserID & Password. Our userid is in the format XXX99999 and password is 8 chars also, mixed char/numbers.

Some of these comm. problems can be hard to diagnose. You may need to add code (if you haven't already), to detect which MAJ/MIN return codes you are getting from the comm. session. These should be in the ICF programming guide online.

One other thing to try, just to be sure - try having the modem call your office phone or cell phone, just to see if it's successfully dialing. I've been bitten by something as simple as needing a '9,' to get out, but only after I'd spent a few hours pouring over what I thought was a programming problem. Also, depending on which model of 7855 you have, isn't there a 'SYNC/ASYNC' button on the modem - make sure it's set properly.

K. Hood

khood,
Have tried everything, can't get it to work. Any possiblity I could come to Charlotte and see how yours works?

basspro,

Didn't mean to leave you hanging - was on vacation last week & catching up ever since. I can't offer that option to you at this time, as they are not my systems & most of my clients are funny about having outsiders look at their system. However if you want to give me your email address I will send you my phone number and we can talk about your problem.

K.Hood

email address is james_hinson@waverlymills.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back