Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS2000, WIN2k, Exchange 5.5. Insufficient Privialges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello All. I am running Win2k as a domain controller with exchange 5.5. When trying to do a brick level backup of the mailboxes The job will get to 99% then crap out giving me Error E8604 Fail to start backup. (DBNAME=dbaexch. EC=Backup Agent Error -- (331) Insufficient Privilage. Please check user Privilage.

I have a dummy user account set up for arcserve called dbagent. It is set to log on locally, act as part of the operating system, and log on as a service. This user account is a member of administrators group, domain admins, enterprise admins, and backup operators. Its primary log on group is set to domain admins.

In exchange administrator I have set the dbagent as the service account administrator for the site, the organization and conficuration.

I have set the security on the brick level backup to use the dbagent's account. And have logged on as dbagent and run the Exchange backup agent configuration tool and input the dbagents info into it.

I am running WIN2k with SP2 but no Service packs for the ArcServe. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I've beat my damn head against the wall on this one. Currently I am downloading SP3 for Arcserve.

Any Ideas guys?

Thanks very much.

Correction!!!!! Bricklevel backups are successful, But backups of Microsoft Exchange Server fail. with the above errors. Thanks!

Have you installed the exchange client on the Exchange 5.5 server? The ARCserve ExchangeDB Agent uses this to send all the data to the backup server. You also have to open the inbox atleast once inorder for it to take. Oh, and on the Exchange 5.5 server, go into services and assign the log on rights for the Backup Agent RPC service and the ARCserve Discovery service to your backup administrator account. Are you really doing brick-level backups? i thought they took forever.

They do take forever! Typical brick level backups take around 5 hours for us. And the mail boxes are relatively small in size. I didn't think about the log on rights for the services but I will try. I have outlook 97 on the server (arghhhh) and have opened the mailbox, so that is eliminated. Thanks for your help!

1) Open ARCserve server admin
2) Select ARCserve system account from ADmin and note down the user name and Value from FROM
3) Open Job status screen and modify the backup job that fails with the above error
4) Drill down to exchange server
5) Mouse right click on the server name (Exchange)
6) Enter security as FROM\AS SYSTEM account ( From server admin)
Submit the job.

Brick level backup uses Exchange DB agent account and Databases backup needs AS system accout (AS=ARCserve)

Thnx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back