Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS Drill Down to Lowest Level Automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

slhayden

Programmer
May 29, 2002
1. In PowerPlay for Excel there is an option in the Explore menu that allows the user to Drill Down to the Lowest Level automatically. Is there a similar feature in Cognos 8 Analysis Studio?

2. According to our CFO, there is a feature in Series 7 PowerPlay that allows the user to drill up, drill down, replace or insert hierarchies and levels, then automatically return to the original analysis (as when first opened). He thinks it was something like "Home Base". I'm not that familiar with Series 7, so I don't know if such a feature even exists. Is there a feature in Cognos 8 that will do this? I told him to close the analysis without saving the changes and reopen it, but he wasn't impressed.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know if this helps with the 'home base' idea but you can press the New button on the toolbar to open the cube with the default analysis showing but it will prompt to see if you want to save.

Hi,

In PowerPlay for Excel, the "Drill Down to Lowest Level" option simply displays all categories from the lowest level of the selected dimension (ie a level-based analysis). The equivalent functionality in Analysis Studio is to select any member at the lowest level of the dimension from the Insertable Objects pane, then open up the Information window at the bottom of the Insertable objects pane, and drag in the level from the information window.

In PowerPlay for Excel, I can't think of any way of going back to the default crosstab other than by opening the cube again. In PowerPlay Client, there is a 'Reset Dimensions' button which removes all drill-downs and filters, but it does not necessarily put the crosstab back to it's default state (for example, it will not reinstate the original dimensions if they have been replaced with others). There's certainly no 'Home Base' feature! :) The easiest way to get back to the default crosstab is to start again,and this applies in Analysis studio too.

Regards,

MF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back