Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

as an DBA - how to log in as the user without knowing the password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhugh

MIS
May 21, 2000
CA
There is a script for this. Does anybody has it?

thanks

LHugh,

Please explain what you want to do that requires you, as a DBA, to log into someone else's account. There are very few actions that a DBA cannot accomplish without logging in to a specific user. If your answer is one of those things that actually requires your logging in as that user, I'll share some ideas on how to do it.

Dave
Sandy, Utah, USA @ 08:01 GMT, 01:01 Mountain Time

I am just interested in how to do this without changing the user's password?

In fact you can do this, but first you should specify the reason. If it's some kind of hacking/cracking, I can not help you.

Regards, Dima

Hi,
OK, overstatement...
But, in normal usage, you cannot become someone else without knowing or changing that person's password..

[profile]

Sorry, I didn't read "in normal usage" part.

Anand.

I found the script - thank you all for your answers.

This is for Oracle 7, when DBA still had less "power". If a user is away on vacation and their tables grow out of control (and there are other stuff belong to the tables such as views...) I needed to go in at the user and make changes.

I think there is no reason for DBA to use the script in Oracle 9i.

If you're a DBA, you have enough power to change user's tables without the need to use another account. Of course, unles you have a need to reference them from stored procedures or grant explicit rights on them to the third parties.

Regards, Dima

Dima

There were store procedure and views for this user (programmer) tables

I was not 100% sure about using my DBA account to change things. It is much "safer" to do it as the user

Anyhow, I found my script. No problem now, thank you all for your help

Lhugh,

Whay do you think that you can't modify them using the DBA account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back