Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

as 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

robaii

Technical User
May 5, 2005
US
Can anyone tell me how to wipe the hard drive in an IBM AS400.I have absolutely no knowledge of this machine.As far as I can see it has only a CD-RW drive and a tape drive.We have taken it out of service and will turn it over to one of our instrutors for his class but not til we wipe the hard drive several times.Any help in this will be greatly appreciated.

The process is (more or less) outlined in the Service Guide, I think the Backup & Recovery Guide also covwers this.
You can IPL from CD (I_Base_01) enter Dedicated Service Tools & format the drives. Takes a while.
You could also do a Manual IPL from Disk, and format each drive (except for the load source) from there.

Mark, thanks for the reply.Just to let you know I am a recent grad with 2 aasociates degrees and know nothing about this server. We can not find the documentation on it or CD's that indicate dedicated Service tools.We booted it up Friday and got a blan screen with a cursor and a line accross the bottom and that is all.I have tried to open the disk drive and cant get it.The tape backup drive opens but nothing happens happens when a tape is put in either.I didnt really expect it to with the tape.My point is I know nothing about this machine.I have a lag of over thirty years of knowledge in computers.Went from mainframe programming to dells and networking without anything in between.Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back