Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

As 400 Network connection only shows 10MB half Duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
May 3, 2006
US
Hi, I am new to the DB2 server forum, can you tell me if the network speed really matter or not on the As400? The server connected to the 100/100/1000 switch and the status show the server only has 10 mb half duplex; is the network connection really matter or the CPU and disks, memory are the factor of the server?

Thanks,

Some of the older AS/400's only have a 10Mbps card.

On the AS/400

GO HARDWARE
Option 1 (Communication resources)

Look for the LIN that says "LAN adapter". What type is it?

If it is a 2838, it can support 100Mbps.

(There are also now 1Gbps cards, but unsure of their part number).

Anyways, if you put a 5 next to CMNxx under the LAN adapter, then a 5 again, then a 2, go to LINK SPEED & change it to 100M.

If memory serves me, the line needs to be varies off (which means ending TCP, so you need to do this from the system console).

thank a lot for the help, I will look into it and let you know.

on my hardware shows 2849-001 and Part #( 0000053-P0057) and set to 10MB half duplex; can you tell me the reason why it was set to 10MB intead of 100MB or Auto? I am sure when the internal user try to look up the database it is so much slower, but if it sets to 100MB, they can probably get the result quicker(within the LAN), even thought my T1 speed is only 1.5MB/PS (going outside); If I am going to change it, what do I need to aware of? any issues, anything else I need to change? will stop my job anything like that? What are the steps to perform?

Thank YOu,

It may have been to 10M because that may have been how IBM shipped it.

If you change it to 100M & the card is incompatible, it'll let you know so & won't let you change it. You don't have anything to lose, except to be sure that you are using the console (in QCTL, DSP01), or any other twinaxial device.

Good luck!

If I change it to 100MB, will I get any benifit of it? I suppose that I don't need to touch any of my network settings other than changing the speed.

Yes, you will benefit from it, especially if you're using DDM files (connected to another as400) or remote database access to the 400.

You may not see any difference when you're on the outside (because of the T1 bottlenecks), but internally, you should notice a big difference.

I had written some conversion programs a few years back, which I used to run every weekend (some in sequence, and some at the same time). It used to run on a new as400, grabbing data from our existing 400 & converting it for use with our updated software package (we did it every weekend to keep the data "fresh" for training, etc).

Our old 400 was setup for 10Mbps. The new one 100Mbs. I then noticed that the card was the same type on both machines, so I changed the old one.

After I did so, the conversions finished several hours faster.

So yes, it does make a difference.

sorry, can you please give me the step how to proceed with the changes?

On the AS/400

GO HARDWARE
Option 1 (Communication resources)

Look for the LIN that says "LAN adapter". What type is it?

If it is a 2838, it can support 100Mbps.

(There are also now 1Gbps cards, but unsure of their part number).

Anyways, if you put a 5 next to CMNxx under the LAN adapter, then a 5 again, then a 2, go to LINK SPEED & change it to 100M.

do I just follow the above steps?

Thank You,

we use commecialware to access AS400 Database via the browser, it seems so slow when it pulls the data; could it be the ethernet bottleneck (10MB on the As 400); also, not sure if you have any thought of the search engine side (search the database via commecialware takes forever, do you have any recommendations? Since this the first time ever change the speed on the AS400, I just want to get it straight and without any issues. sorry too many questions.

Hi,

I have made the chane, and the user did experience so much better performance.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back