Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS/400 model 520 error log

Status
Not open for further replies.

cndcadams

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2004
US
Never worked on one first off so be easy on me!! I am being told by the end user that they received 1 error on a drive and they would like it replaced. They also said all drives are up and running. I was wondering where the error log is so I can figure out the physical location or device resource name of the drive?
I need to know this when using concurrent maintenance to replace the drive.

Thank you;

ca

so let me ask a dumb question,, are you the third party maintenance person,, from your question you cannot be a trained IBM tech.

you are just wasting your time asking me that dumb question.

It would have been easier for you to type the answer.

It is difficult in todays economy for companies to train a person in emc, ibm, hpux, hp compaq, dell, cisco, sun etc..

so unless you have something useful to say don't waste my time or yours.

He wasn't being rude. Replacing a disk on an AS/400 is nothing like doing it on a Windows PC, for instance.

Is it in a RAID set? Are there any virtualized applications in use? Is it part of a storage pool or is it dedicated? Stuff like that matters...

What is error? And what makes the end user think that it needs to be replaced as a result?

I work with IBM i (V5R4 and V6R1) but don't do this sort of thing. However, the first thing I would check is the system operator message queue - use command "wrkmsgq qsysopr" and then take option 5 to view messages. I have seen other hardware issues reported in there in the past, such as a faulty LTO drive.

Also use commands:
"wrkhdwrsc *stg" - work with hardware resources : storage (may highlight faulty drive, typically status will be "operational")
"wrkdsksts" - work with disk status
"wrksyssts" - work with system status

and see if that sheds any light.

However, if you haven't touched this system before then you probably shouldn't start with trying to replace a disk. You should pass this to IBM support because you could end up doing more harm than good if you don't know the system.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

ok;

I appreciate your input and agree that someone who is only a windows person may have more difficulty.

I actually have vast amounts of knowledge is sun hardware/solaris, hp9000/hpux, ibm rs6000 pseries /aix plus multiple windows servers dell, proliant, ibm xseries etc. I also work on emc units. I am very aware of raid and how it works.
AS/400 are just another system which I am being required to learn(good thing).

The reason I had asked the question is I had done some research on logs but wanted to see what the experts had to say. I was able to get the customer to send me the error, which IBM had informed him about.

Being only one error and in a raid5 set I personally would not requested to have it replaced but the admin was going to a disaster recovery class and his bosses were afraid if something happened they would have no clue what to do. So I do as I am told and I replaced the drive with the procedure from IBM docs and it was very simple. Actually it was a lot easier to replace then say on a sun running SVM or veritas or hp box using LVM.

As far as the other persons comment my feeling is 1)Read the post completely. 2) Only post if you are going to say something useful.

So yes I did get annoyed and maybe was a little rough but if we all knew everything then there would be no reason for us to post on these boards.

So I apologize jmd0252 if I hurt your feelings.

Oh well, glad you got it sorted.

Probably would have been better to mention your experience before, otherwise naturally responses may raise concern becuase as you are aware, it's nothing like Windows. Unfortunatley I often see posts where people really have no clue what they are doing so it pays to ask first :)

If you have a link to the document, you should post it here for any future searches and it may well help someone else.

For general i5/os knowledge and support, the IBM System i and i5/OS Information Center is a great resource - see
'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Dear cnd,, Well lets say this,, since I have no idea who or what you are,, you could be someone trying to sabatoge the machine,, with a clever story. You could be some windows person,, who think all they have to do, is unscrew the screws, power back the machine,, and ta-da evertything works fine.. Any CE,, who has worked on an AS400,, knows that ain't the case,, also knows the steps required to remove the drive, and replace it,, while the system is still running. I am not about the give the keys away,, to someone who I have on idea who or what you are..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back