Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS/400 daily backup issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishank

Technical User
Feb 1, 2005
US
I am having an automated daily backups failing with the error message.....

*Daily backup not successful or not complete (CPF1E68)

When I check the job log it says that... The *DAILY backup has finished, but one or more of the objects that you specified to back up were not saved. The objects that were not saved may have been in use by another user.

How do I trace what user is logged on or why is the backup not complete?

One idea, depending on the user base you are supporting, is to set the workstation, idle timer. I am not sure if I have been clear about what it is. But the is a system value, that says,, after so many minutes of being at idle, it signs off the workstation. Like you have guesses.. some has a session on, and active for the object not to be saved. What time of day do you run your auto backup??

The auto backups run around 12:30am when we are closed and no one can use the system.

I am unable to set the idle timer as that would cause problems. People tend to be in the middle of using the system and then they walk away to handle a customer. If they are timed out it could cause an object to be locked.

I was hoping that there was an easy way to find who is leaving themselves logged on all night.

How about bringing down QINTER before the backup and back up after?

Is there a scheduled job that runs at night that could lock a file?

Well you could try that,, not sure whihc sbusystem the backup runs in.. You could always set the time out interval for say 240 minutes,, which is 4 hours,, if there has been no activity for 4 hours,, that itself could be a problem, or a security issue, depending on who's session it is..

I tried a simple user fix, by yelling at them to log off. That did not work at all. So I set the time interval to 3 hours and that seems to have done it.

LOL,, I love the comment about the simple user fix.. How Classic is that..

My response is a little late but I just joined tek-tips. Maybe it will be of use to someone else in the future.
If you display the joblog and use the find option you can search for 'not saved'. It should tell you the name of any objects not saved.
Then the question is are you using a CL program to do the backup. If so then in the CL, before the backup of the library I would put this command: WRKOBJLCK obj(thefilenamenotsaved) objtype(theobjecttype) output(*print). Put in your file name and your object type. The next morning the backup job should have a spool file showing who locked the file.
We scan the joblog of the backup every week or 2 for the literal 'not saved' to audit the backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back