Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Artifacting? Bad Video Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGL72

MIS
Jul 2, 2001
US
Well, my P4 3ghz machine that I use for my wife is beginning to artifact. I'm looking at the temp on the GPU around 50 right now and it is still doing it. I pulled out the card, and ram, went through and reseated them and vaccuumed out any dust to see if that would help.

Check the pics below to see what it looks like. Any suggestions? Is it finally going bad? Definitly a video card? I dont think its the LCD monitor.

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

Let me know what you think.

You are probably right but I would try installing the latest drivers and check the refresh rate hasn't accidently been set too high (take it down to 60hz)as I have seen a similar display pattern which turned out to be refresh settings.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

I'll check the refresh. I have the resolution set to its native number. I have done the drivers.

Have you tried plugging a different monitor in? It looks to me like it's the connection for the monitor rather than the card artifacting (an artifacting card wouldn't be so uniform). If I were you I would check the monitor.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Its definately artifacts and not a refresh rate issue. Wrong refreshrates, in my experience, look worse than this.
You could try switching the monitor cable just to exclude that possibility. To me it seems to be an overheating issue though. I've seen uniform artifacts before on overheated GPUs. Did you check the temp before or after cleaning? If you did it afterwards, my guess is that the GPU got damaged because of overheating. That it works at a regular temp at this moment doesn't matter in that case.

I believe it was over heated or run through to much heat in the past. Thanks for alls help.

Have you eliminated the monitor by trying another monitor & cable?

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks to everyone that replied, I've been dagumming this thing for a few days now. This issue won't seem to consistently make the artifacting on screen. I've put several monitors to it, changed several things as mentioned here and in other places I've read. It just will not do it right now. I tend to think its already a damaged video card due to excessive heat. I'll have to just play it by ear and prep the budget for a video card replacement here very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back