Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arrrgghhh!! This software!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stueynoswad

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2009
GB
Hi,

This piece of software is driving me nuts!! (Its' 10d by the way!)

I recently inherited a network that has been chronically mismanaged for the last two years and as such is in one hell of a state. Task number 1 is to sort the backups out as a successful backup has not run since December 08.

When I got here the DC, the Exchange Server, the backup server and also the file and print server were all the same box, oh, and it was also hosting 2 instances of SQL!!

So I'm in the process splitting these tasks up and have to create some temporary stability whilst I can draw up a plan to renovate the whole infrastructure.

So I have introduced a Win2000 server to the mix (its all we currently have licence for and its only temporary anyway!) and set about moving the BackupExec off the DC and onto this box. Since nothing was working anyway I just uninstalled it without saving the DB or the settings and then installed it on the new Win2000 box. I DID however save the licence XML file and imported that into the new install.

So, during the install/config setup it asks for a Central Administration Server, now I take this to be the server that is going to control all the remote agents yeah? I want this to be the Win2000 box (called Jupiter) So I put in the name "JUPITER" and it comes back and says that this is NOT the C.A.S as BackupExec is not running on this server....

Well of course it's not, this is the damn install for it!!
Am I missing a piece of software here? There's nothing in the box and I have checked all the serials I have....

Its obviously looking for a SQL instance as if I type in "LOCAL" it searches and then allows me to manually type the path in - and it's already populated the "DB Instance" field with a default value. Doing this allows me to fudge my way thru the install shield but then the services won't start because they can't see the database......

Please help - before the tourettes kicks in and I get fired....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back